As many of us know, Tenerife has become a top holiday destination in Europe, continuing to grow with more visitors going every year. There are many fun and interesting facts about Tenerife, and if you’re planning on visiting, here are 13 facts to start you off.
1. The Tenerife flag is the same as that of Scotland’s.
2. 5 million tourists visit Tenerife every year.
3. Although part of Europe and using the Euro as their currency, it is not part of the EU.
4. Tourism drives Tenerife’s local economy and makes up for 60% of their GDP.
5. One is six people in Tenerife is involved in the tourism/hospitality industry
6. Tenerife has the third largest island volcano in the world – Mount Teide
7. 43% of the entire Canary Islands’ population lives on Tenerife
8. About 5 times more people visit Tenerife every year than there are people living there.
9. The little bumper stickers with ‘SP’ that can be found on many vehicles, doesn’t stand for Spain, but instead for ‘Servicio Publico’.
10. Tenerife offers more five star properties than either Madrid or Barcelona .
11. Tenerife’s Thai-themed water park, Siam Park, offers the highest water slide in the world.
12. The Tenerife is the largest of the Canary Islands
13. Tenerife has 300 sunny days a year
There are many more fun facts about the place and Tenerife holidays are something that go highly recommended – it is an ideal holiday destination for both young couples (or singles) looking for a busy night life and families that need plenty of activities and attractions to take their kids to – and since it is a top holiday destination, flights are cheap!
Flights from the UK to Tenerife only last between 4 to 5 hours and your entire holiday can be planned on a shoe-string budget, making it an ideal place for a quick holiday getaway.